Apple TV was introduced by Steve Jobs in 2006. This new technology acts as a transmitter and allows people to watch special TV programs through Netflix or Sports TV. The newest device plugs into an HDTV. The problem with this new gadget is that some of the programs and services only work inside the United States. If you need or want to access some of these services outside the US, you need to get an account with a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Another problem with Apple TV is that it does not come with a VPN set up menu or option, like many of the newer electronic gadgets do. You have to use a router that can connect to a VPN service and you have to configure the router to make this connection.
Setting Up a VPN for Apple TV
You must subscribe to an Apple TV VPN because you will need some information from the VPN service before you configure your Apple TV to work with a VPN provider. Next you will need a router. The best VPN services recommend particular router to work with their software. For example, Hidemyass.com recommends ASUS RT-N16 router.
After you complete these two task, you have to ensure you have these prepare a few items first
- Get a PPTP IP, user name and password from your VPN provider.
- You need to download the firmware called DD-WRT.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to your router.
- Use Internet Explorer, not Firefox, then download the firmware to your router.
- Use the default user name and password, admin and admin respectively, when prompted.
- Reboot the router and enter the default user name and password.
- Reset the router and clear the NVRAM located on the Administration, then Factory defaults.
Set Up the Connection for the Apple TV VPN
After all of this is done, you still need to make the connection between Apple TV and the VPN service.
- Go on the DD-WRT dashboard
- Select Setup, then Basic Setup, then enter the following:
- PPTP for Connection Type
- Yes for Use DHCP
- VPN IP address for Gateway
- Your VPN user name
- Your VPN password
- Keep Alive for Connection Strategy
- Enable PPTP Encryption
- MPPE required and stateless for Additional PPTP Options
- Disable for STP
Your router is set up to work through your Apple TV VPN service.
Setting Up Apple TV to Work Through a VPN
Finally, you need to connect, or setup, your VPN for Apple TV so you can use some of the Apple TV services outside the US
- Select Settings on your Apple TV menu
- Select General
- Select Network
- Select Configure TCP/IP
- Select Manual
- Enter the Router IP in Router Entry
Now you can go on Netflix or other GEO restricted services offered by Apple TV through your VPN service when you are outside the United States.
Finding an Apple TV VPN
The biggest problem you will have is finding a VPN for Apple TV. You have to ensure that the service works with a router, has enough bandwidth to operate sites like Netflix, has PPTP security protocols available and has a competent customer service operation for when you have questions. Because of all this, we have setup an Apple TV VPN from different places around the world and used many of the VPN providers to determine which ones are the best. Here are the ones that work best for Apple TV.
|5||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 Months||7 Days|